TeamSnap is an app (and web-based event planning tool).
We use it to plan practice, races, potlucks, etc.
You can chat through the app and this is our primary way of communicating in-season with each other so you NEED to download the app.
We will send you an invite if you have not been invited to the team. Just ask Coach Jay and he can invite you!
GHS MTB is not a CHASSA Sport. However, it is a fall sport and GHS has asked us if you plan to do another sport in the school year to complete the required paperwork.
Starting in the fall of 2018, CHSAA has required each high school to use an online format for the required CHSAA paperwork. Each student-athlete must have this paperwork, along with their physical, completed before the first day of practice in order to be eligible to participate. This online format will replace the paper format GHS has used in the past.
Get all the info here: https://mtbcowboys.com/arbiter-athlete/
GHS Mountain Bike Team
Appropriate Behavior and Character Expectations for Gunnison High School MTB Team
By being part of our team, you agree to:
- Always strive to grow as a person, a student, and a mountain biker.
- Represent Gunnison High School by exhibiting a supportive and encouraging team attitude at all times.
- Show respect to coaches, teammates, other competitors, and parents.
- Abide by all rules and policies set by the coaching staff and school administration and the National Interscholastic Cycling Association.
- Be on time and ready to participate in all practices.
- Inform coaching staff of any behaviors or actions that warrant disciplinary action.
- Accept consequences with maturity and empathy.
- Be honest and upfront. Your coaches and teammates are committed to listening to you, provided that you communicate clearly. If you have a problem, you are expected to maturely address the persons involved and communicate concerns. Let your coaches know if you need support with this.
- Be clear on your priorities. Maintain excellent grades and complete family responsibilities.
Rules and Expectations of Gunnison Cowboys MTB Team
- Practice is mandatory. If you know that you will be unable to attend a practice, you must notify the coach in advance. (While practice is mandatory, we understand that each of us has a lot going on. Communicate your needs with your coaches. We want you to achieve excellent school/athletics/family balance!)
- All riders are expected to be on time for all practices. We roll out at 4:00!
- Riders who have not completed the following may not participate in practices.
- Colorado League registration
- Accept the invitation to TeamSnap and download the app
- Emergency Card (on the last page)
- The last page of this document signed
- Unexcused absences at practices will result in a meeting with the coach and parents during which we will assess your commitment to the team and whether continued participation in the team is appropriate.
- It is mandatory for parents and riders to attend the fall sports meeting.
- School transportation is not provided to attend races. Parents and riders must make arrangements to transport themselves to competitions.
- Practices are 4:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and from 1:45-4:00 on Wednesdays - rain or shine.
- There may be additional practices as the coaching staff allows. Students are encouraged to ride at least one day on the weekend.
- Practice will be held rain or shine. Riders shall be prepared for alternative workout activities in case of inclement weather (running, weight room, yoga, etc.) You may keep extra gym-type clothes in the clubhouse if you wish.
- Since practice is held rain or shine, all riders will also come prepared to ride in the rain. (See required gear list)
- Riders shall contact coaching staff personally if they are very ill or have a family emergency. (Procrastination is not an excuse to miss practice - much less an actual race.)
- Riders who do not finish the season in good standing may not attend the banquet ceremony.
- Required Gear List: All riders must bring the following to each practice. Failure to do so may result in an unexcused absence from practice:
- Nutritious Snacks (gummy bears count!)
- Closed-toe athletic shoes or Cycling Shoes
- Spare Tube (that fits your tire size!)
- Tire levers
- Rain Gear
- Pack to carry your gear
- Fully functional bike intended for off-road riding
The Gunnison High School athletic fee associated with the Mountain Bike team is $150. This includes your coaching staff and access to the clubhouse.
REMEMBER! We are representing the town of Gunnison, GHS, and the mountain bike program. Any action said or done, is a reflection of you, your team, your coaches, your parents, your school, and your community. Riders are expected to show respect and excellent citizenship at all times, even when not riding. Any conduct deemed inappropriate or detrimental to the team by the coaching staff or other school officials will result in immediate and possibly permanent suspension from the team. Overnight trips are part of the mountain bike team schedule and experience. When we travel for races, our first priority is to fully participate in the event. You are expected to be on time and fully present for pre-rides and race times. Always remember to have fun and encourage your teammates, as well as the competition. Everyone on the team helps share in the camp set up and meal preparation. The team normally has dinner together that is pre-planned by coaching staff, team members, and parents. Breakfast meals are on your own. The organization of camping accommodations is a team effort by coaching staff, team members, and parents.
To be eligible for competition, riders may not have more than one "F". Every Tuesday, a grade report is issued to coaches to determine eligibility for that week. Please refer to the "Athletic Code" for more detail on eligibility requirements. Status cannot change for that week regardless of efforts made to improve the grade.
As a staff, we take parent/athlete concerns very seriously. If a rider and/or their parent(s) question staff or program logistics, the following chain of command has been established for voicing concerns.
- It is best to address the concern directly with the staff person or coach in question, seeking resolution.
- If the 1st step has proven ineffective or cannot be done, concerns must be directed to Sierra Cucinelli. Please call to set up a meeting time in order to optimize communication. The coaching staff cannot have these meetings during competitions, or practices.
- Should further discussion be warranted; the rider and parents, Sierra Cucinelli, and possibly the Athletic Director, will then have a scheduled conference to seek resolution. Coaches and staff reserve the right to place an athlete on a behavior contract if deemed necessary.
This process is crucial to allow every opportunity for solving problems, building team cohesiveness, trust, communication, and maintaining integrity and character. Riders, parents, and coaches are expected to abide by these standards. We understand that opinions may differ, but we can agree that we all want what is best for our team and our riders. There is no room for rumors, gossip, or non-purposeful complaints.
Contact Information and Times
Any problems, concerns, or questions that are not emergencies, please contact Sierra Cucinelli at a reasonable hour (not past 7:00pm)
I have read and understood the above Rules and Expectations for the Gunnison High School Mountain Bike Team. I commit to participating to the best of my ability and to live up to these rules and expectations.
Student Signature ____________________________________________ Date ____________
Parent Signature _____________________________________________ Date ____________
Please check the TeamSnap for up-to-the-moment details.
In general, we will practice four days a week, with Fridays off.
We ask that you would please update your availability each week so we can plan coaching etc accordingly.
The night before races we will have a team potluck. Please refer to the SignUp Genius posted to each race event in TeamSnap to help out.
Ride with family or pre-planned with coach
Bike, pedals, shoes, helmet, gloves, shorts, sunglasses, rain jacket
Race number (will be issued by coach and must be returned to coach at end of race day)
Individual race release for FRISCO and other sites as indicated by the race website
Tent, sleeping bag, toiletries, etc.
Camping clothes including WARM CLOTHES
Water bottles, race gels/food
OWN PLATE, UTENSILS for potluck !!!!!
Food that you signed up to share at the potluck
Some cash for race day food items and discounted tires/swag
Breakfast for race day
Chairs for race tent/camping
Water (we will have water jugs as well)
Patch kit/flat fix - REQUIRED TO HAVE ON BODY WHILE RACING
Team spirit and great race day attitude
Unless otherwise stipulated, meeting times are AT THE TEAM PIT ZONE.
Example: If the pre-ride is at 3:45, please meet at the pit zone a few minutes before 3:45 ready to ride.
Pit Zones are designated by race officials and somewhere near the START of each race... so you'll have to walk around until you see an orange cone with our team name, and or our Gunnison HS tent.
The pit zone is about 10x10 feet and can accommodate team member bike parking, and a few extra items racers will need for their race. There's not a lot of extra room for others, but please come by, say hi, and hang around.
At each race there is a designated Feed Zone. Racers can only take aid in that zone.
The Feed Zone is designated for volunteers who have credentials. The Team parents will need to decide who will use the credentials and coordinate feeding all the athletes within a given wave.
Racers will need to provide their own transportation and or coordinate with others to get to/from the race.
There is no Bus, or team transportation - sorry!